Welcome To Summerfield Schools
Summerfield School District is dedicated to the concept that all students can learn in a safe, positive, stimulating, and caring environment.
Summerfield Schools is located in Petersburg, Michigan. Petersburg is a small community in western Monroe County. Summerfield Schools was consolidated in 1947. One of the smallest school districts in Monroe County, the district serves the City of Petersburg, Summerfield Township and parts of Ida Township, Dundee Township and Deerfield Township as a K-12 school district.
Approximately 675 students attend Summerfield Schools and 36 teachers serve students in an Elementary School building and a Junior & Senior High School building. The Junior & Senior High School has been recognized as a Reward School by the Michigan Department of Education. This distinction is due to the overall academic improvement of our students in grades 7 to 12 from academic year 2011-2012 to 2012-2013.
Summerfield Schools offers an excellent academic program at all grade levels with extensive use of technology. One hundred percent of our instructional staff is rated as highly qualified for their teaching assignments.
District-wide building and infrastructure renovations were recently completed in both schools. Summerfield is a member of the Tri-County Conference and offers numerous male and female inter-scholastic athletics. At Summerfield, our students and our staff believe in our motto: Small School, Big Heart.
Transportation Request Form
By the end of the school year all students must fill out the Transportation Request form attached either online or hard copy turned into the school.
Monroe County Five-Year Common Calendar
Points of Pride
● Welcome to Summerfield! Monroe County's Best Kept Secret!
● Small School, Big Heart
● Great kids attend Summerfield
● Many staff members, including teachers, live in our district and their own children attend Summerfield Schools
● Many staff members are themselves Summerfield alumni
● Most of our dedicated teaching staff also serve as coaches or advisors to student groups
● Summerfield Junior/Senior High School recognized by US News and World Report as one of the best high schools in the nation in 2018
● Summerfield Junior/Senior High School recognized as a Michigan Reward School
● Summerfield Schools recognized as being a Gold Award Winning Monroe County Healthy School District
● Outstanding food service program for student breakfast and lunch, with a high participation rate
● Social worker in each the elementary and high school buildings
● Consistently rank at or among the top of the county for graduation rate
● Extensive course offerings in the high school including on site, online, cooperative agreements with other Monroe County school districts, Career and Technical Programs, dual enrollment classes at Monroe County Community College
● Extensive dual enrollment options for high school students
● Lourdes University to offer direct college credit class on-site at Summerfield
● Broadcasting class films and produces daily announcements
● Exciting high school elective options, including History Through Film, Forensics, Outdoor Recreation, and more
● Reading Intervention Specialist in grades K-3
● Music, Art and Physical Education programs for all students k-12
● Exciting new band programs, concert and marching, for students in grades 5 to 12
● All 4th grade students spend a day in Lansing learning about our state government
● All 6th grade students spend a day at the Henry Ford Museum in Dearborn
● All 8th grade students have the opportunity to spend a long weekend visiting Gettysburg and participating in a guided tour of Washington, D.C.
● All 10th grade American History students spend a day at the Holocaust Memorial Center in Farmington Hills
● All 12th grade students have the opportunity to visit Walt Disney World, Universal Studios, and Cocoa Beach as a part of the senior trip to Florida
● Summer school and online courses offered for credit recovery
ATHLETICS AND EXTRACURRICULAR
● Outstanding athletic facilities for all interscholastic sports
● Strong athletic programs for girls and boys
● Boys and girls athletic programs annually compete and rank among the top of the TCC
● Boys and girls athletic programs annually recognized with Academic All-State honors
● Girls Softball 1984 Class C State Champions
● Girls Softball 2010 Division IV State Champions
● Girls Softball 2011 Division IV State Champions
● Boys Track 2014 Division IV State Champions
● Boys Baseball 2019 Division IV State Champions
●Girls Basketball 2021 Division IV Final Four appearance
● “Dawg Pound” student section recognized as finalists in the 2020 and 2022 Battle of the Fans competition for their spirited support of our athletic teams
● ESports club, new to 2022
● Bowling, new to 2022
● Junior and Senior High Robotics Teams, new to 2021, and competed across the state
● National Honor Society students give back to the community in many ways, including participating in Adopt-A-Road, hosting Red Cross blood drives, and partnering with the Petersburg Library to offer a Homework Helpers program
● Student Council plans Homecoming, Coming Home, and other fun events for our school and community
● Active Drama Club in the junior/senior high school
● Junior and Senior High Quiz Bowl teams compete across the county
● SPLT (Student Prevention Leadership Team) and LEAP (Leadership helping to Educate and Advocate for Peers) empower students to educate and assist their peers to make better choices, while fostering leadership and public speaking skills in members
COMMUNITY AND GRADUATES
● Active booster groups for athletics, band, after-prom and PTO
● Highly respected and comprehensive Community Recreation Program
● “Bulldog Difference Live” morning program showcases all things Summerfield pride
● “Unleashed” community party to kick off the school year
● Community Clean-Up initiative to beautify our school grounds
● Recent Summerfield graduates have or are attending: Michigan State University, University of Michigan, Ohio State University, University of Toledo, Cornell University, Eastern Michigan University, Western Michigan University, Central Michigan University, Adrian College, Albion College, and many others
● Curtis Manore, class of 2017, received a Congressional appointment to West Point, where he graduated with honors
Hours and Closings
Summerfield Elementary School Hours
7:55 A.M. - 3:09 P.M.
Summerfield Junior & Senior High School Hours
7:55 A.M. - 3:00 P.M.
Closings & Delays
In addition to sending school closing or delay announcements via Honeywell Instant Alert and our twitter feed @GoSHSBulldogs, closings and delays will be announced on the following radio and television stations:
1370 AM (WSPD)
1560 AM (WTOD)
93.5 FM (WRQN)
94.5 FM (WXKR)
99.9 FM (WKKO - K100)
Channel 11 (CBS)
Channel 13 (ABC)
Channel 24 (NBC)
Parents and students are asked not to call the school or school officials. It is important to keep the phone lines open for official use.
When school is delayed due to fog, snow or ice, it will be for a minimum of two (2) hours.
In the event that school is dismissed early (i.e. power outage), please make sure your children are advised on what to do if they return home during your absence.